Dr. Jack Hahn has been placing and developing dental implants for more than 45 years. His innovations, including the original tapered implant have played a key role in making implant therapy the predictable mode of treatment it is today.
Dr. Hahn was involved in developing the Steri-Oss Dental Implant System in 1986 which was purchased by Nobel Biocare. He also developed the NobelReplace® dental implant system for Nobel Biocare and oversaw the design of the Hahn™ Tapered Implant.
In 2015, he introduced the Hahn™ Tapered Implant System combines proven features with contemporary design, serving to make implant treatment simpler, safer, and more predictable than ever before.
In this interview, Dr. Hahn is discussing his legacy in dental implants including his experience and what he thinks of the future for ceramic implantology.
Zirconia is a much stronger substance, you can take a hammer, and you can’t break ’em! The advantages (of ceramic dental implants) are in the aesthetic zones. Patients are metal conscious these days. They don’t want any metal anywhere.
–Dr. Jack Hahn
Watch the interview below:
Dr. Jack Hahn earned his DDS from The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, and completed postgraduate coursework at Boston University, New York University, the University of Michigan, and the University of Kentucky. A pioneer in the field of implant dentistry, Dr. Hahn has been placing and restoring implants for 45 years. Dr. Hahn developed the NobelReplace® dental implant system for Nobel Biocare (Yorba Linda, Calif.), and oversaw the design of the Hahn™ Tapered Implant. Recipient of the Aaron Gershkoff Lifetime Achievement Award in implant dentistry and the Venue and LEAD magazine Healthcare Leadership Award, Dr. Hahn was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Academy of Implant Dentistry in June 2015. He lectures to dentists around the world and maintains a private practice in Cincinnati, Ohio.
He is committed to treating Dental Implant patients, as well as, Educating other Dental Professionals. Participants of Dr. Hahn’s Courses learn and develop the skills to perform the surgical placement and prosthetic restoration of Dental Implants. Dr. Hahn has developed Implant Devices and Techniques that are used worldwide.The “REPLACE IMPLANT SYSTEM” Dr. Hahn developed is the most widely used dental implant system in the world. Never resting, Dr. Hahn continues to participate in various Clinical Studies.
- 1970- Placed First Dental Implant
- 1976- American Academy of Implant Dentistry- Credentialed (written and oral examination)
- 1980- Founded Midwest Implant Institute
- 1984- American Board of Oral Implantology and Dental Implantology (ABOI)- Diplomat
- 1986- Developed the Steri-Oss Dental Implant System for Denar (purchased by Nobel Biocare)
- 1987- American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID)- Fellow and Diplomat
- 1987- Began a 15-year Titanium Study
- 1989- Began a 12-year Hydroxyappetite Study
- 1996- Invented and Developed the REPLACE SELECT Dental Implant
- 1998- A.D.A. approved immediate extraction replacement and immediate loading based on Hahn’s Clinicals
- 2003- Nobel Direct one-piece Implant Clinical Study
- 2003- Appointed Board Examiner for the American Board of Oral Implantology and Implant Dentistry 2003- Academy of Ossiointegration (AO)- Fellowship
- 2004- Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)- Fellow
- 2004- Recipient of the Aaron Gershkoff Memorial Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry (AAID), in New York City
- 2005- Appointed by the American Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) with the Perio Institute for Implant Dentistry
- 2006- Performed live surgical demonstration in India, as part of the Nobel Biocare World Tour
- 2007- Taught a three day Dental Implant course, with hands on training and live surgery in Moscow, Russia
- 2008- Participated as a Panelist and Presenter for Nobel Biocare Worldtour in San Palo, Brazil
- 2009- Taught a two day Dental Implant course, with live surgical demonstration, in Singapore
- 2010- Taught a two day, live surgical Dental Implant course in, Shanghai, China
- 2011- Lectured, with hands-on participation, in a Dental Implant Bone Grafting course in, St. Petersburg, Russia
- 2011- Began Clinical Studies of my updated “Replace” Dental Implant
- 2013- Relocated my Dental Implant Practice to Blue Ash, OH.
- 2014- Dr. Hahn was named Chief Editor of “Inclusive Dental Magazine”
- 2015- Developed the “HAHN IMPANT” and the “HAHN Surgical and Prosthetic Kits”
ABOUT ZERAMEX® XT
ZERAMEX®XT has a tapered design allowing optimal primary stability. The internal connection has been specifically engineered to maximize the strength of rigid zirconia and eliminate any lateral forces on zirconia.
The precise fitting components offer variable placement close to bone level for enhanced restorative margin. The heart of the connection is the VICARBO® screw. Comprised of many individual threads of carbon fiber that run vertically, uncut down the length of the screw to durably absorb the tensile forces and give the VICARBO® screw its exceptionally high strength.